By The Happy Starfish
1. Diet – A healthy diet consisting of unprocessed foods, colourful fruit and vegetables, nuts, seeds, lean meat and fish will provide us with the necessary antioxidants, nutrients, and essential fatty acids to fight infection.
2. Detox – The gut houses much of the immune system. Try a gentle bowel cleanse to rid the intestinal tract of parasites or any yeast overgrowth which will hamper immunity. Herbs can be taken to gently clear the system. This should be supported by a healthy diet.
3. Drink plenty – The body comprises of 60-70% water and it is important to stay hydrated to keep our systems running smoothly.
4. Herbs – There are plenty of herbs you can take to support your system. Echinacea increases defence mechanisms to fight against bacteria and viruses, Barberry cleanses, detoxifies and fights infection and Liquorice builds immunity and is anti-viral.
5. Cut out sugar – Sugar blocks our uptake of nutrients including immunity enhancing Vitamin C. For a period after the consumption of sugar our white blood cells cannot attack invaders properly leaving us with an inadequate internal defence mechanism in place and vulnerable to infections.
6. Meditate – It is proven that negative mental stress weakens our immunity. Stress contributes to acidity. Excess acidity can weaken our immune system and lead to chronic diseases. The happier we are the less acidic we are.
7. Take a multi-vitamin and mineral – Vitamins A, C, and E, along with Zinc and Magnesium are primary antioxidant nutrients for building strong immunity. Zinc also helps us absorb nutrients from our food.
8. Good Hygiene – Viruses are easily transferred. Wash hands regularly and carry hand sanitizer with you. Wipe down surfaces, especially shared office keyboards, phones etc. with disinfectant wipes.
9. Exercise – Exercise stimulates our lymphatic system to make lymphocytes to help fight infection.
10. Sleep – Our body has an amazing ability to repair itself while we sleep.